Sunday, May 07, 2006

I just Enlisted...again

Well, on Thursday, May 4th, I officialy signed my contract with the U.S. Army! I enlisted under the 18x program, which means, assuming that I meet all the requirements, I'll be attending Special Forces Assesment and Selection. I have to make it through Infantry OSUT, Airborne school and SOPC1 first, but hopefully all will go well and I'll make it through everything. Right now the thing that scares me the most is my physical condition...I've been kind of a couch potato for that last few years while I finished school, and right now I couldnt even pass the PT test to go to SFAS, but I'm not leaving for Basic (OSUT) untill September, so if I work hard, I should have some time to at least be on way to good physical conditioning. Special Forces probably wasnt the best choice for someone in my position (condition), but hey, Im almost 30 and its kinda now or never.
As far as my background goes, I joined the Navy when I was 20, and spent 6 years on Active Duty as a Cryptologic Technician (Interpreter)....or CTI in Navy speak. I decided to leave the Navy for a few different reasons, but mainly it was to finish my degree, which I will have done in 2 weeks. So naturally I thought about joining the military again. I left the Navy at 26 years old, and have been in school for almost 3 years (thank you MGIB), so now I'm almost 30 and wondering what the heck I've signed on for. A 5 year contract with the Army, at best in one of the most challenging jobs there is, at worst in one of the most demanding jobs there is....wow.
At least I know what basic training will be like, and let me tell you how much I am NOT looking forward to another Gamma Globulin shot and getting pin cushioned in general...oh well, so be it. Anyway...this blog is more for me to keep track of my thoughts and feeling as I get ready to enter (endure) one of the most challenging things I've ever done with my life...I guess its going to be like a kind of therapy...a place to voice my fears, uncertainties, and doubts. More to come in the near future!

1 Comments:

Blogger Soxfan said...

I just found you thru Jake Commando... good luck with your enlistment.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home