Monday, May 08, 2006

Why does the Army hate prior service personnel?

Ok, so when I was at MEPS last Thursday, going over my options with the career counselor, it turned out that because I was in the Navy, and therefore prior service, I'm not eligible for any of the current enlistment incentives, at least not for the 18x program. That kinda bummed me out, but what are you going to do? I joined anyway, because in the end, I'm not doing it for the money. Why am I doing it, I dont really know, but it's not for the money (HA). Actually I have a pretty clear idea of why I want to join the Army, and why I want to be a Special Forces Soldier. The simple truth of it is that I believe in the mission. I really Like the SF motto, "De Opresso Liber", Liberate the Oppressed. It's what I believe we should be doing, or at least what I should be doing with my life. I suppose it's finally time for me to stop saying "somebody should do something about that"....and actually be the one to do it. I've defended the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan since they began, and I think now is the time to put my money where my mouth is. I've gotten a little off track here, but that's ok...this is more of a "stream of conciousness" type blog, as oposed to something with a little more format. Or any format at all, for that matter. Anyway...back to the topic of being prior service...one would think that the Army would welcome former servicemen for other branches with open arms and hefty cash bonuses, and well, maybe they do, if you pick a different job than the one I picked. In reality I didn't even look at any other jobs, I already knew what I wanted....for better or for worse (probably worse :/ ). In the end, things will all work out for the best, I'm sure. I am, however, still really nervous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home