Monday, July 31, 2006

The Aftermath

Aaaaah Harbor Fest.....another one comes to a close. This year I actually took it easy and my involvement in the debauchery was kept to a minimum. This is a good thing. The Girl came up for the Firewirks and got to meet some of my Bro's. I suppose that was somewhat of an eye-opening experience for her. It usually is for most people, haha. It can be a little overwhelming, but she was a real trooper and managed to have a good time I think. The drunken Fraternity house is not really her scene....which is not a bad thing at all. I guess I should give a little explanation:

Every year, Playboy Magazine ranks colleges for their performnace as party schools. This year SUNY Oswego wasn't ranked because Playboy deemed it unfair to rank the Professionals at Oswego against Amateurs. Now amp that up by a factor of 10 and you have an idea of what life can be like during Harbor Fest around the Fraternity house. Hehe....That really says something about how we do business here. Fortunately ( or maybe unfortunately ) as my 30th Birthday approaches, I find myself less drawn to the usual attractions (booze and girls), and more drawm to just spending time with old friends. I saw a few guys I pledged with, 10 years ago now, and it's great to see that they are doing well, and for the most part happy with their lives.

It was really nice to able to take The Girl to the Fireworks. Every year, the Nuke plant ( we actually have 3 reactors within 9 miles!) pays the Grucci Brothers about a million dollars ( I think that number is right, but who knows?) for the Fireworks. The really cool thing about that is that they are launched from break wall in the harbor, which is about 75 yards directly behind the Fraternity house. Its pretty spectacular to climb up on the roof and watch them from there...right in your face! Its a priceless experience and one I'm really glad I got to share with someone important to me.

We had some pretty severe weather during the day, so I didn't get to spend much time with my recruiter at the Army booth. I'm slightly bummed about that. My recruiter has really done alot to help me out in my journey into the Army, and I'd like to give him a hand whenever possible. In my opinion he has really gone above and beyond duty as far as everything he's done for me. I think he probably has the toughest job in the Army!

Back to Harbor Fest news....I had several "house guests" this weekend, thanks to the roomate. I really dont mind that at all, except when they drool on my damn Micro-fiber throw pillows!!!! That kinda irritated me, but I guess it was bound to happen. Small price to pay for the amount of fun I had.

1 Comments:

Blogger SC said...

Oswego, fond memories! Lots of 1812.

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home