Monday, June 19, 2006

Shoulders lament.

So for the last 4 days or so, I have been doing 5 miles a day with 30 pounds in my Rucksack. First day was easy.....I thought I needed more weight! Next day was a little tougher....and today was the toughest yet. Im really starting to feel it in my legs and especially in my shoulders. It REALLY feels good to be doing it though, I finally feel like I have a little direction. My confidence improves with every mile I put behind me. One cool thing about it is that I've been able to spend alot more time with my Dad. He rides his Bike along next to me and we get to talk. He has decided to be my coach, this is both good and bad but mostly good. He was shocked, to put it mildly when I enlisted in the Navy, and I think he came close to a heart attack when I enlisted in the Army. Especially when I told him I decided to try out for Special Forces. I have been reading and lurking around a few forums, mainly www.airborneranger.com and www.professionalsoldiers.com and getting all the info I can on what I should be doing to get ready. Today I showed him some of the posts concerning Rucking and SFAS at professional soldiers and he sort of panicked. I guess he thought I was making it all up..haha. He got a little upset and at one point said to me "After you go through all this, you're not going to be the same person." That actually bothered me. I have been thinking about that all night in fact and I've drawn a few conclusions. Yes. It will change me. Hopefully not to the point where I'm not the same person, but to the point where I finally realize my full potential. All my life I've been told how much potential I have, and up to this point, I haven't really done much with it. Thats a big part of wanting to go through this for me. Finally seeing what my limits are. Surpassing the status quo. I dont want to be a different person. I want to be all I can be. Does that sound familiar? That used to be the Army's old slogan, before the current "Army of One". I like it better. In fact, I'm not sure what is meant by "An Army of One". Maybe it was developed to appeal to the younger generation, who are so individualistic. I dont really know.

Onto other things... I had some comments from some guys that are current Special Forces soldiers, or have all ready made it through the Q course. They really helped. It's amazing how much an encouraging word from someone who has already been through it can pick up my spirits. It really motivates me to want to be a part of that group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home