Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Best Buy

Sooooo.....its been a few days since I've posted anything, the good news is that I have been keeping pretty busy with my new job at Best Buy. They decided to hire me full time, so no more outrageous medical bills......maybe I can even find a doc to re-check my ears and give me a go on the Airborne Physical and not have to pay through the nose. Then I can renegotiate my contract AGAIN back to 18x....who knows....health insurance opens a world of opportunities.

So I did get a $.25 an hour raise when I moved to full time status. So now Im really raking it in. $8.50 an hour....I never thought I'd see the day. No, really...I seriously never thought I'd see the day I made $8.50 and hour. I'll let you decide wether I was planning on making more or less. So it still looks like I'll be needing a second job untill I finally ship. The sad thing is that the G.I. Bill pays out more than a full time job per month. Holy Smokes. Has anyone seen the series on FX called "30 Days"? It was done by the guy who did "SuperSize Me"? I think his name is Morgan Spurlock. Anyway, he did an episode where he and his Girlfriend tried to live for 30 days on minimum wage (with both of them working). It was pretty informative. Basically, you can't. Ready for a rant? Ok....hang on...here we go.....

Minimum wage is a creation of the modern welfare state and should be abolished along with welfare and Social Security. You might ask why....but I would slap you and point out that I have a minor in economics and wave around that $1.80 piece of paper that I paid $30,000 for. I understand that during the depression, minimum wage, welfare, social security and all the other public assistance programs were necessary because the charities that normally handled the super needy were overwhelmed. Lets look at the world today though. Minimum wage is still around, the problem is that its too low to support anything more than the most basic of lifestyles. In fact, Its too low to support even that. Unless you live with your parents and dont have to pay rent, or for food, you really cant make it on minimum wage. I'm sure it still serves the purpose of keeping the evil empires (like walmart) honest, all it really does is establish a minumum standard of living and create more problems. Well, why not raise it you ask. Good question...funny little problem with that called inflation. See...when everyone is making more money...money becomes worth slightly less....prices go up. So by raising minimum wage, you would be making more money, but it would be worth less, perhaps even to the point that it is worth less than what you were making before it was increased. Another thing minimum wage accomplishes is to keep unskilled jobs wages low. Why should Best Buy pay more than $8.50 an hour for someone with a bachelors degree? They are already paying more than minimum wage and there are plenty of people who would love to make that much. Quite a quandry we have here. If only Adam Smith was still around to put us back on course (www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_hand).

I'm sure this makes total sense to all the liberals out there(minimum wage...not Adam Smith). I mean, we can always go deeper into debt paying for an education, so we dont have to take a job that pays minimum wage....so we can then earn more money, and pay more taxes to support the welfare state. Genius!

I wont get started on welfare or social security. The vein in my forehead is already throbbing.

1 Comments:

Blogger SC said...

I'm glad somebody else sees it my way.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home