Saturday, September 16, 2006

No news is good news?

Thanks to all my commentors! Wether it's a few words of encouragement or a tidbit of information that I was missing, ym readers and commentors usually fill in the gaps, thanks again! So the more I read about about OCS, the more worried I was getting about this whole process. I have read numerous complaints that it has gotten soft and is too easy...etc etc....then Becky's comment, explaining the BOLC system made perfect sense to me. OCS is known as a "Gentlemans course". It's not a boot camp (by the time you get to OCS you should have already gone through boot camp). So the Scope of the course is to teach you how to be an Officer. Some may despair the lack of leadership training in the current iteration of OCS, but thats what BOLC II is for. This approach may not make sense to everyone, but believe it or not, it makes perfect sense to me. I may be way off base here, but lets look at a commision like an MOS for a minute. When you go to AIT you learn to do your job....if its language school, your main focus is on language, much less so on PLDC or other things. So having a "how to be an Officer" school actually makes sense to me. Then we can look at BOLC II as PLDC....how to be a leader...again..I'm comparing this to the enlisted process, but it makes sense to me. I actually think that 6 weeks of training devoted to leadership is going to be more effective than 14 weeks of knife and fork training, admin training and all that jazz...mixed in with whatever time they have left for leadership training. I'm actually a little impressed. As an 18x candidate, I was pretty impressed with the 18X pipeline. I thought OSUT for infantry soldiers was genius. Apparently this is a different Army than the one I saw when I was on active duty. Kinda interesting.

Things continue to progress on the Home Front. HH6 remains stressed out, but she puts on a brave face for me. Sometimes, though, I can see beyond it and just how scared she is. I wish she would believe me when I tell her everything will be fine. When she gets all nervous, its starts to make me nervous..hehe. I'm scared too though. I'm scared that I wont make it through OCS, and I'll have to come home, and face her as a failure. I'm scared that when the time comes for her to move down to wherever I am, she won't want to anymore. I'm scared she'll meet somebody better while I'm gone (well not really, I mean...who could be better than me ;) ?) But yeah...our stress level at home is kinda high, but the fact that we persevere through it and find a little time to laugh at ourselves and each other gives me faith that we have a bright future together.

2 Comments:

Blogger SC said...

When I was in BNCOC we were next door to OCS. From what I saw I would say it's somewhere between basic and a gentleman's course. Have fun polishing that big cannon thet have there :-)

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling-

you will be amazing. Keep faith, I will be here waiting for you when you get home. I'm looking forward to an amzing future with you.

HH6

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home